The All India Institute of Medical Sciences [AIIMS] was designed to serve as a nucleus for nurturing excellence in all aspects of health and wellness program throughout India. AIIMS are a group of autonomous public medical institutes that have been declared by an Act of Parliament 1956 as “Institute of National Importance”. AIIMS Mangalagiri is one of the AIIMS healthcare institutes being established by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojna (PMSSY). With the aim of correcting regional imbalances in quality tertiary level healthcare in the country, and attaining self sufficiency in graduate and postgraduate medical education and training the PMSSY planned to set up new AIIMS like institutions in under served areas of the country.
AIIMS, Mangalagiri functions from temporary campus at Government Siddhartha Medical College, Vijayawada. Accordingly, for eight departments, new academic blocks had been constructed. The necessary faculty are appointed in full strength. Two Lecture halls have been refurbished with modern amenities and state of the art equipment for a fulfilling class room experience.
The trinity of the mission of the Institute is:
(1) Education of diverse health professionals
(2) Research in biomedical sciences; and
(3) Patient care at the highest care level
1. To develop pattern of teaching in under-graduate and postgraduate medical education in all its branches so as to demonstrate a high standard of medical education to all medical colleges and other allied institutions in India.
2. To bring together in one place educational facilities of the highest order for the training of personnel in all branches of health activities.
3. To attain self-sufficiency in post-graduate medical education